road to the army


« Home | recruiters. »

the ASVAB.

Today I reported to my friendly neighborhood Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) to take the ASVAB. "The ASVAB is a multiple-aptitude battery that measures developed abilities and helps predict future academic and occupational success in the military." The test is broken up into about 10 sections to include Math Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto & Shop, and Word Knowledge.

Anyway, I arrived with my recruiter and was filed in, given a name tag with my ID bar-code on it, and instructed to sit and wait for further instructions. When my name was finally called, I was told to walk down the hallway, make a right, and stand in front of the tiny window. Someone would arrive shortly to retrieve me. I did as I was told, and was retrieved by a Marine who gave me more one line orders and showed me to my computer station.

The test was basic, at best. I am allotted 3 hours to complete it, and I was done in just under an hour. I got my scores, and called my recruiter to let him know I was done. My AFQT (composite score) is a 97. Out of 99. Basically, I can do whatever I want to in the military. And that means a lot of enlistment bonus money :)

Today was an exercise in the unofficial motto of the Army: "Hurry up and wait."

1 Responses to “the ASVAB.”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Vic-
    I'm amazed and impressed and SO excited for you and this new chapter in your life!! I'm also uber excited that you're blogging about it so I can keep up from the other side of the world. Congratulations, love!
    Laura  

Post a Comment




© 2008 road to the army